3.10.2011

I used to be Catholic, anyone else remember those days?

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent. The time where Catholics repent by giving up something as a small sacrifice to God before He kills off His Son Jesus for us. When I was an actual practicing Catholic (and not the Easter and Christmas kind either), I used to give up everything from chewing gum to reading Cosmo. Little, insignificant things that I really could have gone without. Then, when I was a Freshman in college, I gave up coffee.

Sounds like nothing right? Well, let me tell you something about caffeine withdrawal. It fucking sucks. Because I was living on campus, I had a full meal plan, which meant unlimited meals, which meant... unlimited coffee. I went from drinking about five cups a day, to zilch. The headaches were unbelievable, and they lasted for two weeks. I don't usually have migraines, but boy do I know what they feel like now.

After this experience, I decided that Lent wasn't really safe. This wasn't what changed my perspective on religion, it was decided the day I realized the Catholic church hated lesbians, but it did solidify my opinion that Catholicism is really about feeling guilty.

The following is solely the opinion of Eddie:

If there is a God, they don't want us to be unhappy! They want us to fight for what we believe in and be happy with what we have achieved. Let's stop this "they" crap too... God is definitely a woman. A man does not have the sense of detail a woman has, and therefore Earth is definitely created by a woman, or a blast of cosmic energy. I'm still working that one out. Doesn't matter where we come from in this instance, we are here. So let's be happy about it! We don't need to repent our existence because we can't do anything about that! We don't choose how we come into this world, or who we will be when do. We make choices based on a set of morals and values that are just common sense, not God's word (which is written by mankind anyway). We love who we love, not because we choose it, because you cannot help who you fall in love with or when you do it. If we could control our emotions we would be automatons, and this existence would be futile.

Woah, ok... That is quite enough for now. Religion gets me all hot and bothered, and not in the good way. I'll get off my soapbox and let you people get on with your day.

Have a good one. Don't forget to repent! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment